Table of contents
If you’re not on the internet, you probably don’t exist – at least in the eyes of representatives of digital-native generations. Does this mean that everyone has to have their website? No, most private internet users are satisfied with having a social media profile. However, if you run your own business or want to break away from social media platforms, you need your own space on the web – and a website builder will come in handy.
What is a website builder?
A website builder is nothing more than an online platform that allows you to create websites based on ready-made templates and interface elements modularly. You choose visualised components and features on such a platform, so the navigation is simplified. The user has no insight into the site’s code, so possibilities of personalisation are limited.
WordPress, interactive agency, or website builder?
There are many different ways to create a website. Choosing the right one depends on two fundamental factors: the budget and the time we can devote to the project.
If we have a lot of resources, high requirements, and little time, it is worth investing in the services of a professional interactive agency. The cost of creating a custom website ranges from a few to several hundred thousand pounds, but skilled developers do all the work.
If you’re short on money but have enough time and basic IT knowledge, you can build the site yourself. The most popular CMS (Content Management System) is WordPress. 75 million websites have already been created on this open-source software. WordPress is free of charge (you pay only for hosting and a web domain) and you can integrate it with thousands of add-ons that extend its functionality. For example, WooCommerce integration will turn a WordPress website into an online store, and the Yoast plug-in will help you take care of SEO. However, to create a website on WordPress, you need programming skills. Fortunately, there is no shortage of tutorials prepared by the WordPress community.
- Business Email Hosting 101 – Essential Knowledge about Tools of Corporate Correspondence
- FOTC Partner Represents Small Businesses in Poland and Across Europe
Building a website without coding
We recommend choosing a website builder for anyone with a moderate amount of time and resources. In such a creator, you do everything yourself, but in a friendly interface that even an inexperienced person can handle. The user can freely adjust the template’s appearance but has a limited influence on its functionality. The best website wizards give users a large number of templates (made with different industries and areas of activity in mind) and many customisation options.
Advantages of using a website builder
- Thanks to the ready-made modules, website builders are usually easy to use.
- You can observe the effects of the work in real-time and adjust the page’s appearance.
- Service providers offer technical support in case of any issues.
- Often it is an all-in-one service – you can have a domain, server, and a www page builder in one subscription.
Disadvantages of using a website builder
- Less control over search engine optimization (SEO).
- No personalized solutions.
- If you use a free plan, you might have to deal with the fact that the web builder will display its logo and ads for external companies on your website.
- Limited space for files and multimedia.
Landing page builder – what is it?
If you already have a website but want to build an additional landing page for your customers, you don’t need to use website builder software. All you need to do is use the services of the landing page builder, which has options specially tailored to the needs of narrowly specialised websites.
Landing pages can be used as:
- Destination pages of a marketing campaign for a specific product or service.
- Registration for an offline event or webinar.
- A page that presents a special offer.
- Signup for an online contest or lottery.
- An element of a lead generation campaign devoted to gathering contact details of people interested in your activity.
The FOTC marketing team has been using the Landingi.com landing pages builder for years, so we can sincerely recommend it to anyone. In this builder, we created, among others, these landings:
How to choose a website builder?
There are many differences between website builders, so when comparing offers, it is worth taking into account not only the price but also:
- Specialization – there are universal web wizards that can be used for building any website. However, if you have special requirements, look for a website builder created specifically for your industry. For example, not every platform can meet all the expectations of people running an online store. For such purposes, it is better to look for a website builder specializing in eCommerce.
- Backend – the website’s appearance from the customer’s perspective (frontend) is crucial, but do not forget about maintenance comfort. Choose a website builder that provides a convenient way to operate the site from the inside (the backend). Test various website builders (most offer a free trial period) or follow the recommendations of people who already run a website similar to yours.
- Integration – the number of available add-ons and plugins should be one of the criteria for choosing a wizard. If you plan to use business office software, such as Google Workspace, or other applications, the integrations will make it much easier for you to manage your content on the site.
The most popular website builders
Wix.com – it’s one of the most frequently chosen websites offering a platform for website creation, hosting, and domain reservation.
Google Sites – an entirely free website builder. If you need an elementary business page, you can create it in a few minutes in this app. Google Sites application is available for users of free Gmail, and it is also part of the Google Workspace service.
Weebly.com is another popular wizard that offers all-in-one services and a free plan for personal use.
Shopify.com – this platform specialises in eCommerce. If you’re planning to create an online store, consider using Shopify. It offers a huge marketplace with integrations tailored to the needs of eCommerce owners.