What is Apps Script?
The tool is pre-integrated with programs included in the Google Workspace suite. It also works seamlessly with over 100 other Google services, such as YouTube, Google Analytics and BigQuery.
You don’t have to be an experienced coder to start using Apps Script. The language used here has a simple syntax and is well described in the extensive documentation available at one of Google pages.
Coding in Google Apps Script
If you want to code on the platform efficiently, you should be familiar with general programming concepts. If you know what loops, variables and conditional statements are, you will certainly find it much easier to start your adventure with Apps Script.
You don’t have to spend much time configuring the Apps Script environment. The code editor is available in the browser, and the generated scripts are executed on Google servers. All you need to get started is a web browser and an active Google account.
Expand your Google Workspace functionality
FOTC specialists will write the script you need!
Find out more
AppSheet – a no-code alternative
If Apps Script seems too complicated to you, you’ll be happy to know that there is a simpler alternative to this tool. AppSheet is a no-code platform where you can create your own applications and automate workflows, even if you don’t know how to use programming languages. You can learn more about it in our article Google AppSheet – automate without coding.
What to use Google Apps Script for?
With Google Apps Script, users can create scripts to reduce the number of repetitive and monotonous tasks they have to perform. Projects created with this tool are most often used to automate workflows, integrate Google apps with other programs and write add-ons that will extend their functionality.
With Apps Script you can, for example:
- Add your own menu functions, pop-up windows or bars to Google Workspace apps (e.g. Google Sheets, Google Docs or Google Forms).
- Create macros and custom functions in Google Sheets.
- Write web apps that you will later embed in your website or in Google Sites.
- Integrate various Google services, such as AdSense, Analytics, Google Drive, Gmail or Maps.
- Create an add-on and deploy it to the Google Workspace Marketplace.
For instance, you can create a script that will download data from customer surveys completed in Google Forms and automatically save the answers in a Google sheet. And in the event of important changes in this document, an e-mail will be sent to the specified recipients.
How to use Google Apps Script?
To create scripts and apps, as well as manage and monitor projects created in Google Apps Script, you can use a special panel at https://script.google.com/.
The tool will help you with the following steps:
- Search and view existing Apps Script projects.
- Create new projects.
- Debug the Apps Script code.
- View information about projects.
- Monitor projects and the status of the resources they use.
- View log records of project activity.
- Enable or disable Apps Script API to allow or prevent external applications from using APIs to connect to and modify your projects.
You can also save libraries on the platform and use the APIs of many Google services already loaded there.
Google Apps Script in practice – examples of FOTC projects
Google Apps Script is a tool that we use very often at FOTC. With this platform, we can quickly and conveniently create a solution or a custom function that improves work both in our company and in our clients’ organisations.
If you need to:
- create a script that will automate processes in your company,
- integrate Google Sheets with your accounting system,
- grant and review permissions to multiple users within your organisation,
- automate tasks and work-intense processes through an Apps Script project, be sure to contact us.
FOTC specialists have extensive experience in creating business applications in Google Apps Script and will help you solve your problem.
Below are three example projects that FOTC engineers implemented using Google Apps Script.
Automatic creation of contracts
Signing contracts with new clients is very efficient at FOTC. The process is fully automated:
- the customer completes client survey created in Google Forms,
- a contract is automatically generated from the Form submission file, including all important information: company details, the number of purchased licenses and the type of contract,
- this information is saved in the database. Based on the statuses generated there, the Google script sends e-mails about the project status to all people involved.
Easier management of Google Workspace Directory resources
Using Google Apps Script, FOTC engineers have created features that make it easier for them to manage resources in the Google Workspace Directory. This way, they can mass download and update email aliases within a given organisation. We use this tool at FOTC both internally and for customer service.
Data migration support
Apps Script is great for automating a lot of work processes, especially those that take up a lot of resources to complete. Our engineers created a script for transferring several hundred Tutore Poland employees to Google Workspace. The API they wrote automatically sent login details to all transferred users, so there was no need to do it manually.
Apps Script – FAQ
How much does Apps Script cost?
Google Apps Script is a free tool.
Do I need to purchase a commercial version of Google Workspace to use Apps Script?
No. To create scripts using this tool, you can use the free version of a Google account.
What do I need to start using Apps Script?
To start using the platform, you need a web browser and an active Google account.
Do I need to know how to code to use Apps Script?
No programming experience is needed to write Google scripts and small applications in Google Apps Script. Still, it is worth remembering that this is NOT a no-code platform. This means that knowing the basics of programming concepts can be very helpful.
How to get started with Apps Script?
The Google Apps Script panel that allows you to create and monitor projects can be found at: https://script.google.com/.
Where can I learn about Apps Script syntax?
You can expand your knowledge thanks to the extensive documentation available on the manufacturer’s website. There you will also find exercises that will help you become familiar with the topic in practice.
Get help from FOTC
Do you use Google Workspace tools? Do you want to expand their functionality or need help configuring the service? Contact our specialists. As a certified Google Cloud partner, we can usually offer our clients additional discounts on license purchases. We also provide 24/7 tech support and help in data migration from the current work environment. We also ensure the security of our clients’ instances by performing Google Workspace security audits for them.